Danish brewing company Carlsberg has acquired a 28.5% stake in Viacer and increased its indirect shareholding in Portugese brewery Super Bock.

Viacer holds a 56% stake in Super Bock, while Carlsberg holds the remaining 44%.

The Carlsberg Group’s CEO Cees ‘t Hart said: “We are pleased that we have increased our indirect shareholding in Super Bock Group. It is a very strong business with a market-leading position in Portugal, offering appealing long-term opportunities.”

Upon completion of the transaction, Carlsberg Group will own a 60% stake in Super Bock Group through direct and indirect ownership.

Viacer continues to be controlled by its partner, while the Portuguese brewery will continue to be part of its Group accounts.

“Super Bock Group is a very strong business with a market-leading position in Portugal.”

Super Bock Group holds a 47% share in the Portugese market and has a well-established brand portfolio, including Super Bock, Carlsberg and Somersby.

In August this year, Carlsberg acquired a 25% stake in Cambrew, increasing its total stake in the firm from 50% to 75%.

Cambrew is one of the largest breweries in Cambodia. Its Angkor Premium Beer is a popular brand among Cambodian consumers, and it also produces and bottles Pepsi for the Cambodian market.

In another development, Carlsberg and Indian conglomerate company United Breweries have filed pleas with the Competition Commission of India (CCI) seeking leniency in a beer cartel probe. It was alleged that the companies conspired to fix beer prices.

Currently, the completion watchdog is probing the two companies, as well as Anheuser Busch InBev (AB InBev).

Last year, AB InBev notified the CCI that an industry cartel had discussed and agreed on beer prices prior to submitting them to Indian states, which regulate product pricing.

Following the revelations, the regulator raided offices of all the three companies in October this year.