Sazerac has purchased an additional 20% stake in John Distilleries Private (JDPL) from private equity firm Gaja Capital.

The stake is valued at around £116m, people familiar with the development told

In October last year, Sazerac acquired a 23% stake in JDPL from Gaja capital. The latest acquisition increases Sazerac’s stake to 43%. The remaining 57% will be held by JDPL’s chairman and managing director Paul John.

Established in 1996, John Distilleries owns a portfolio of brands across various categories, including whisky, brandy, rum, premium wines and single malts.

Its brand portfolio includes Original Choice, Bangalore Malt, Black Pelican Fine Whisky, Mont Castle French Grape Brandy and Big Banyan Wines.

“The latest acquisition increases Sazerac’s stake to 43%.”

In another development, Sazerac reportedly acquired 19 brands from New York-based spirits producer Star Industries.

With the acquisition, Sazerac will now take ownership of brands such as Georgi vodka and gin, Majorska vodka and gin, Alexis vodka, Alexi vodka, Llord’s cordials and liqueurs, and Black Prince Scotch.

This portfolio also includes Blansac Brandy, Caribaya Rum, Carnaby’s Gin, Clyde’s Gin, Devil Springs Vodka and Donegal Irish whiskey, as well as Dorado Tequila, Duncan’s, Little John Gin, McColl’s, R.J. Hodges American whiskey, Sir Francis and Wild Flame cinnamon-flavoured blended whiskey.

As per the terms of the deal, Star Industries has agreed to produce the acquired brands from its New Jersey-based Black Prince Distillery during a transition period of up to six months.

Last November, Diageo agreed to sell 19 brands to Sazerac for an aggregate consideration of $550m.